Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Launch Pad

The challenge this week at A Bowl Full of Lemons is to create a "Launch Pad." Our launch pad is a place where we deposit coats, backpacks, and shoes when we come in the house. Then, when it's time to leave we know where everything is. I have a split foyer home so the space available when you come in the door is very small. I love the idea of a mudroom. I've seen pictures of mudrooms that have cubbys and lockers and chalkboard paint on the walls for notes. We don't have that kind of space, so this is what we have:

Pretty empty, almost everyone is at school.

Shoe basket. Nothing fancy. I got this from Target on clearance a couple summers ago. This thing takes a beating.

I keep dog leashes in the basket. These hooks where here when we moved in. The one closest to the door on the left is pretty useless. If we hang anything too bulky on it it gets stuck in the door.

Reminders for my first grader. We are working on personal responsibility. Her backpack is too heavy for these hooks. One already broke. I love the command strips so I'm going to need to find a sturdier Command hook.

Small hooks, close to the ground for small people. Everyone hangs up their own coats, even the two year old.

Higher rack for adult hung coats, hats, etc.

More low hooks because there are more small people. I found this basket at Michaels on clearance for $.50. I like if for extra hats and gloves.


Fully loaded.

Once again, more practical than pretty. (That seriously should be the name of my blog.)

2 comments:

  1. I think practical is VERY important! Pretty comes in second....even though we all want pretty, if it isn't practical it's pretty useless! Great job! It IS getting lots of use!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the basket you have hanging on the door knob. I scored three of them at Christmas time when I was working at Michaels for something like 0.50. Now all us girls have one (Dad scoffed at them)!

    ReplyDelete