Thursday, February 17, 2011

The birds and the bees.

Whoa, that was close.

Tonight, while my daughter was taking a shower she asked me what would have happened if her daddy and I hadn't gotten married. I told her, she wouldn't be here. She asked if people who weren't married never had babies, I said sometimes they did. I explained that she was made because her daddy and I were married and we wanted to have her.

That wasn't the scary part.

She then asked, "How does that happen?"

I said, "A part of Mommy and a part of Daddy come together to make a baby" and then hoped that would be enough for her.

It wasn't.

She said, "Yeah, how does that happen?"

I said, "The mommy and the daddy do a special hug." Then I held my breath.

Whew, that was enough.

In theory, I want to be a mom who my kids can come to with questions. I don't want to know details but I do want them to feel like they can talk to me.

I already blew my first chance.

One time, my daughter picked up a tampon applicator out of the trash (luckily it was in the wrapper) and asked me what it was for. I freaked out (because she was holding a used tampon applicator) and told her to put it back in the trash and not to take things out of the trash. She didn't ask anymore about it. I've thought about that interaction several times and so wish I could redo it. I have considered bringing it back up and I know what I would say. I decided at that time I would have to play it a little cooler in the future. I have to say, though, it was not easy tonight. I imagine the discussions are only going to get harder.


I have a book called "Everything you never wanted your kids to know about sex (but were afraid they would ask)." I read through it once and knew I would have to come back to it. It's time to crack it back open.

0 comments:

Post a Comment