The first part of the challenge was to create a budget that dedicated a place for every last dollar of our income. I recently created a budget based mostly on bills. I didn't have a specific place for any extra money to go. (Extra money, ha!) Yesterday, I took a piece of notebook paper and listed our income on the top. I then listed every bill (or category where we spend money) and the amount. Now I know what is left and have a place for it to go. (Not pretty. Ignorance really is bliss.) When I made my original budget I left the amount for credit card payments blank, since they vary. That gave me an inaccurate picture of where we were.
Here are some more parts of my binder that I didn't share in the previous post.
I keep all my usernames and passwords in a little spiral notebook at the front of the binder. I've never heard anyone talk about this but I suspect we are all in the same boat. I can not keep track of all of them. Sometimes a website requires you to use a certain amount of characters. Sometimes it will require you to use letters and numbers. Because of those reasons I have many different usernames and passwords. This little notebook came about because of that.
Here's the notebook in the inside pocket of my binder. I have a pencil bag holding a small calculator.
Here are my categories.
This is my bill checklist form. I made it myself in Excel. Very simple. As always, more practical than pretty. If you want a pretty one, iheartorganizing has a cute one that is free for March.
My budget review sheet. (The one in my binder has the amount budgeted typed in already. I am very open, but not that open.)
My bill paying log.
My spending log.
I'm glad I sat down and redid my budget and included it as part of my binder. I thought I knew what was going on, now I think I have a better idea.