Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Messy faces tip

Over the past seven years, I have watched many children in my home. When my daughter was little she got sick, a lot. Because of all the colds she caught, she had chronic ear infections. She had tubes put in her ears on her first birthday. That helped some but she still seemed to get sick more often and get sicker than the other kids. We eventually had her blood tested and found she had a low IgA count. (It's an antibody.) All of that made me a total freak about kids spreading germs. I know it's going to happen when you have kids around each other, but I did everything I could to limit the spread.

If you have children, you know that when they first start eating solids no matter what you do, they get messy. After each meal they have to be washed off. I had at least three kids here at a time so I needed to wipe off at least three messy faces. I know some people would use disposble wipes. I was too cheap. I know some people would use one washcloth on all three babies. I didn't want to do that because I was trying to limit the spread of germs. So, I found small, cheap baby washcloths (probably at Wal-Mart or Babies R Us.) I would use a new washcloth each day for each child. I was able to color code the washcloths. My daughter would get pink (my favorite color), another girl would get blue (her favorite color), the third would get green (she's a St. Patrick's Day baby) or yellow.

I wanted to use the same washcloth all day (or maybe even for a couple of days) so I needed a place to hang them to dry and stay until I needed them again. Here is what I came up with:



I used medium sized Command hooks to hold the bibs (right now I only have one bib wearer, I guess it's time to remove the other hooks) and small hooks to hold the washcloths. Everything can hang up to dry and it is all out of the way.

The only thing I would warn against is letting the washcloths touch the wood cabinet. The paint is chipping a little bit at the bottom. I would either use the larger hooks because they cover more area or I would use hooks that could be installed under the cabinet.

I'm linking up to Works for Me Wednesday. I'm also linking up to A Bowl Full of Lemons for this week's Weekly Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. My son is the messiest eater I have ever seen! This would work great for us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete