Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do not follow money management advice from me.

I just found out that the payment I scheduled for the bank to pay my mortgage company went to my old mortgage company. I scheduled the payment for Friday the 11th. (That way we don't go past the 15th which is the date when we are charged a hefty fee. Of course, we are in no position to make the payment by the 1st.)

I was looking for some tax info and logged into my mortgage company. I saw that my payment was late. I checked my bank and the payment was made on the 11th, it was an electronic payment so it should have been there within two business days. I looked a little further and realized it was my old mortgage company.

First, I got a huge pit in my stomach. We don't have enough cash handy to make the payment while the bank researches where the money went. Instead of paying my mortgage company directly, which charges $6 to use the bill pay feature, I used my bank. I was trying to save $6 and now I'm going to have to pay a late fee of around $50.

Plus, I'm soooooo mad at myself. I feel like the biggest moron, idiot, dumb a**. I try to keep everything in order and I have a HUGE failure like this. I am almost 38 years old. How do I not have my act together?

Of course, if we were in a better place financially, I would have just paid the mortgage company directly because at the beginning of the month, bill pay is free. (Yea, they really stick it to the people who have the least. If it's the beginning of the month, it's free. If it's closer to the 15th it's $6 and if it's later it's even higher. I guess I'll be paying that fee as well.)

As always, lesson learned. I should have logged into my mortgage account online and made sure the payment was received. Next time, I will.

As if it's not bad enough being in the money situation we are in. (We are in such a hole that it's going to take a long time to dig out. It's really unnecessary and stupid. I'm embarrassed by it and disappointed in us. It's really rather depressing.) Now this. Grrr.

0 comments:

Post a Comment