Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sometimes parenting is just plain disgusting.

I am giving you fair warning that this is disgusting. I am only even writing about it at all because it is so typical of being a parent. Haven't we all had baby spit up on our shoulder? Or even worse, after you change a dirty diaper you realize some of the contents are on your hand. Now that I look back at last night, I think it is funny. Disgusting, but funny.

Last night the kids and I were in my bathroom getting them ready for bed. My daughter was brushing her teeth, my son was doing his "bedtime potty." Usually the "bedtime potty" is a quick job, just making sure he is emptied out. I noticed he was sitting. We all know what it means when a little boy sits down to go potty. I knew it wasn't going to be as quick as I thought. Then, out of the corner of my eye I saw he was standing. That's a problem because I still like to check his bottom after he wipes himself. When I looked over I realized he was facing the toilet and he had the toilet brush in his hand. I immediately say, "What are you doing!? Why are you doing that?!" as I am making my way over to him. He starts crying because he thinks I yelled at him and he is in trouble (yes I raised my voice but I hardly yelled, he's a little sensitive.) Then, I looked in the potty.

I was hoping that he had only peed. He hadn't. So, my toilet brush had bits of the business he left in the toilet.

Gross. Disgusting. Yuck.

I wanted to just throw the whole thing in the trash, I'm just too cheap. I thought I'll try to clean it up. If it cleans up easily, I'll keep it. If it is still gross, it's trash. I must've seen him right after he began to "clean" the toilet because it came clean with a few swishes in a just flushed toilet of fresh water.

As gross as it was and as annoyed as I was (who wouldn't be annoyed with having to clean poop out of their toilet brush, right? I hope it is not just me.) I had to act like it was no big deal because my son was already upset that I raised my voice. There are plenty of times I am actually mad about something he did. This wasn't one of them.

As I think about it, I might be the only person that this has ever happend to. I know we have all had those disgusting moments. But this might be unique to my family. Super. What a great thing to set us apart from all other families.

0 comments:

Post a Comment