Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Remembering to take medication.

Recently I had some crazy infection on my thumb. I have no idea how I got it, nor did the doctor have a guess. I haven't cut my cuticles in years. (It's not that I wouldn't, I just haven't painted my fingernails in a long, long time.) There was no cut that could have gotten infected. He prescribed antibiotics and that did the trick but taking the medication wasn't as easy as it should've been.

I have a problem with taking medication. I forget if I have taken it that day or not. I was supposed to take the antibiotics three times a day. I was never sure when the last time I took it was. I knew I should take one around breakfast, one around lunch, and one before bed. Even doing it that way I was never sure if I took it around breakfast today or was that yesterday? I don't know if it is that I am home all day or if it is just the kind of person I am but my days run together. Especially when I am talking about activities that I do every day. Sometimes I can't distinguished between this morning's breakfast and yesterday's breakfast. I know I probably had Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds and a glass of juice. My son had Life and my daughter had a smoothie. That happens just about every day, though. So, to help me know when I last took my medication here is what I came up with.



(Sorry for the blurry picture. I tried several times and this was as good as it got.)

I keep meds that need to be taken every day in a cabinet in my kitchen. It is the cabinet we keep the bowls in so I will see it when I make my cereal. It happens to be the one above all my pens and Sharpies. On the prescription bottle I would write the date every time I took my medication. That way I knew how many times I took it each day. I tried to write the numbers in three distinct columns so I could tell what time of day I took it. The column on the far left was am, middle was lunchtime, right was pm. Next time I think I might make more distinct columns.

I am linking up to Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT family.

1 comment:

  1. That's great for meds that need to be taken only for 2 weeks or so. I can see myself trying to put 30 days worth of (2-3 X day) dates on my bottles. They better be big bottles! haha!

    ReplyDelete